Welcome to Rice University
Rice is consistently ranked as one of the nation’s best teaching and research universities. That’s not surprising, since it shares much in common with the nation’s other top universities, including applicants. Rice applications overlap with America’s best schools because students know that Rice offers:
- The highest quality, including a rigorous, outstanding education that leads to a highly respected degree and boundless postcollege prospects.
- The resources and opportunities for meaningful undergraduate research. Rice is a member of the Association of American Universities, which includes the 63 top research institutions in North America.
- Outstanding faculty and facilities across academic fields, from science and engineering to the humanities and social sciences to architecture, business, and music. And its endowment per student is fifth among American private research universities.
- A national and international student body, with students from all 50 states and 89 countries.
- A vast range of things to explore, from study abroad to research, and an endless list of extracurricular activities.
A Difference in Focus - Undergraduate Education
- Faculty members and fellow students who truly care about undergraduate education.
- Faculty who teach most courses and are accessible in labs, offices, and residences.
- Opportunities for undergraduate research and interdisciplinary work.
A Difference in Scale - Personal Teaching and Learning
- 3,485 undergraduates.
- Undergraduate student-to-faculty ratio is less than 6-to-1.
- Median class size of 14.
- 2,275 graduate students.
A Difference in Living - the Oxford-Inspired Residential College System
- Eleven undergraduate residential complexes with living quarters, dining halls, and study and meeting rooms.
- Random assignment to ensure cross section of Rice’s diversity and permanent affiliation to ensure connection and continuity.
- A home for complete living - from dining to parties to intramurals to plays — and for networking with college masters, faculty, staff, and alumni associates.